Shakespeare's Globe Library and Archives

I had the distinct pleasure of utilizing the library and archives at Shakespeare's Globe. In a tiny little A/V room, stuffed with rows and rows of taped performance and an overflow of books, I paged through boxes full of documents and primary sources from the Globe's 2002 production of Dream. I read through production notes, lists of props, lighting cues, costume designs -- I read virtually all of the documentation for the entire production! I also viewed a taping of the show, although the quality of the video was not terribly good. Check out the photos below!

The 2002 performance was quite different from the 2008 one. The 2002 performance earned mixed reviews; some people loved it, and some hated it. To be honest, even after spending hours reading it and watching the video, I am not sure I would have liked it had I attended it either. The play was set at a slumber party, and the costumes and props included pajamas, sleeping bags, lots of pillows, a bath mat, and a toliet brush, among many other bedroom- and bathroom-related things.

For more information on the 2002 production, be sure to check out these links!
The Guardian Review -- It earned 3 out of 5 stars.
The Independent Review -- It was praised quite highly!
GlobeLink: A Midsummer Night's Dream (2002)



Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

No comments: